Grindr REVIEW FOR GAY DATING
Grindr launched in 2009 and quickly became renowned for its no-strings-attached sex and dating. It’s a lifestyle and the biggest social app for gay, bisexual, trans, and queer people. The signature alert sound is implanted in the brains of almost every member. Most LGBTQ men have installed the dating app at some point.
5 FACTS ABOUT Grindr
- Simple to sign up and navigate
- Has a very large database, and members are active
- The dating app is location-based, which makes it simple to find people nearby
- Bots and profiles without pictures are common
- There are a lot of ads, and they are sometimes difficult to close
Grindr has become very well-known in pop culture. The dating app has been seen in many TV shows such as Glee, Family Guy, How to Get Away With Murder and The Real Housewives of New York City. It has also been spoken about conversationally in movies such as What Men Want and Trainwreck.
Grindr has also won many awards, such as About.com’s Readers’ Choice Award for Best Dating App in 2012 and Best Location app at the TechCrunch’s Crunchies Award in 2012. Grindr has also won two iDate Awards; one for Best Mobile Dating App and Best New Technology in 2011. Grindr also received an honourable mention at the 2012 Webby Awards in the “Social (Handheld Devices)” category.
WHO USES Grindr
Grindr is aimed at gay, bisexual, trans and queer people. It was one of the first location-based dating apps for gay people in March 2009, and it has gone on to become the most popular gay hook up app worldwide.
It’s best for gay, trans, and bisexual singles who want to connect with each other, although most of the members are looking to find somebody to have sex with.
HOW TO REGISTER AT Grindr
Upon starting our review, we were happy to see that it only takes around a minute to sign up to Grindr. You’ll choose a username, and then you’ll be asked to fill out your email address and date of birth.
After registering, you’ll have the option to upload pictures and complete your profile. You don’t have to do this immediately; you can browse and start sending messages if you prefer.
When filling out your profile, you’ll be able to fill out a wide range of information. This includes the following: about me section, your age, your height and weight, what type of body you have, position, your ethnicity, what your relationship status is, your tribe that you identify with (choose from Bear, Daddy, Leather, Trans, Sober, and many others), what you’re looking for on Grindr, where you would like to meet other people if you’re happy to see photos that are NSFW, your pronouns, your HIV status, and you can add links to your social media.
Grindr has a very clean user interface, and it’s easy to use this dating app. Signing up is simple and only requires that you enter your email address, add your date of birth, choose a password and switch on the location sharing on your phone. Choose a picture and upload it to your profile, choose a username and fill out the “About Me” section.
Grindr has a section in your profile that allows you to fill out statistics about yourself. It includes the typical dating profile information such as your body type and height, and what you’re wanting. The unique thing about Grindr is that they have a specific section that is designed for its users. You’ll be able to say what sexual position you prefer, and you can list what “Tribes” you are a part of (Clean-Cut, Jock, Twink, etc.). There is also a section that allows you to state your HIV status, and when you were last tested.
Profiles of members that are closest to you on Grindr will be displayed in a grid on your homepage. If you have the free version of Grindr, you’ll be able to filter results by age, what you’re wanting, and tribes. If you want to filter profiles further than that, you’ll have to pay. You can search for members within a city by simply dropping a pin location or typing in an address. This will show you the 100 closest members.
It’s easy to send users a message. You just click on their profile, click on the chat icon, and send them your message.
Grinder allows you to save phrases that you often use to make things a bit easier for you. You’re also able to post GIFs, record videos and voice messages, and you can send a pin location.
If you’re concerned that somebody isn’t who they say they are, or they’re hassling you, you can go to the top right corner of their profile and easily block them, or report them or mark them as a spam profile.
The best parts of Grindr are the following:
- It’s quick and super easy to set up a profile on Grindr.
- There are loads of potential matches for dating, as Grindr has over two million members.
- Grindr wants members to be transparent about who they are and what they’re looking for to ensure they meet the people they want.
- Advertising on the free version isn’t very noticeable or in your face, and you never feel it pressured to purchase a subscription.
In our review, we found that these parts of Grindr need some improvement:
- You aren’t able to search for another user; you can only access profiles through location sharing.
- The profiles aren’t very thorough with in-depth questionnaires like other dating sites.
- A few users find that the functionality of the site is sometimes a bit lacking in technology.
Grindr’s dating app doesn’t cost anything to use. If you want other features, you will need to sign up to Grindr Xtra, and this will cost $18.49 for a single month, $36.99 for three months, $92.99 for an entire year.
- Set up a profile
- Register for Grindr
- Add your email address, create a password, add your date of birth, and switch on-location services
- Make changes to your profile
- Have a display name and an about me section
- Fill in all your information, including your age (you can choose if you want it displayed or not), your height and weight, what ethnicity you are, your body type, what position you prefer, what tribes you belong to, your current relationship status and what it is that you’re looking for
- You can input your sexual health, such as your HIV status and the last date you were tested
- You can add links to your Instagram, Twitter and Facebook accounts
- You can upload photos
- You can choose to either take a picture, or you can pick one from one of your social galleries
- To review your uploaded photo, it takes around 20 to 45 minutes, depending on how busy they are
- You’re able to message other members and receive messages back
- You can do simple filtering of matches just by using a location
- You won’t have any banner ads
- View up to 600 profiles at once, which is six times more than the free version
- There’s no limit to your number of favourites or blocks
- You’ll have access to every filter option and view option
- Saved specific phrases will help you chat easily with other members
- You can send members more than one photo at a time
You’re able to pay via credit card, PayPal, Google Wallet, or iTunes/the App Store.
Our review concludes that Grindr has changed the way LGBTQ people meet others. With the dating app’s launch in 2009, it changed the way queer people meet other singles.
Grindr has approximately 4.5 million members using the dating app every day, making them the busiest LGBTQ+ app.
Grindr’s competitor is Scruff; however, Grindr comes out on top as their free version gives members tons of features, including sending voice messages and videos. Grindr isn’t worried about having the fanciest app or having a million add-ons, it sticks to what it knows, and it does it well.
If the ads popping up constantly starts to get a bit much, you can opt to sign up for the paid version, Grindr Xtra or Grindr Unlimited. These versions also allow you to browse other members anonymously, use their advanced filters, and you can see when somebody has read your message.
Sign up today, and you’ll be able to browse through members for free.
Your Grindr account will be approved instantly. After registering with the dating app, you can use it for free for as long as you like or choose to upgrade to a paid version and have access to other options.
The minimum photo requirements are four; however, it’s advised that you upload at least six different pictures.
Sign up for Grindr for free today!
If you're looking for dedicated lesbian dating sites where you can find compatible girls without stress